"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:13)
This is one of the scriptures that people often cite to say that God abhors homosexuality. Despite my own faith which has been very strong for at least a decade, and which I have had off and on much of my life, I haven't ever been able to make sense out of this belief. When I was much younger, my thought was, "God made gay people too", but that doesn't really hold any water for me anymore. After all, God made pedophiles and serial killers too, but I am quite certain that those behavoirs are sinful. I am also of the belief that God doesn't want us to be promiscuous with anyone, that our bodies are temples of His Holy Spirit, and we are to care for them and not defile them, which I am certain I do every time I drink too much beer. And I am also completely certain that the wonderful Lord frowns upon adultery, as it is one of the 10 rules that He personally gave to Moses.
However, in regard to homosexual intimacy between two adults in love, here is my take. C.S. Lewis said something like this, but not word for word, cuz I don't remember it ver batim. "We aren't bodies who have souls, we are souls who have bodies." If you are a Christian, then you believe that we are souls, precious souls, whom the Lord our God seeks a personal relationship with, regardless of our the flesh container that we inhabit on this earth. If you have ever been deeply in love, I ask you this........If something were to happen to the flesh container of your love, (it became crippled in a car crash, it's skin was badly burned and scarred, etc.) would you stop being in love with that person? Of course not! Because you are not in love with a body, a flesh container. Rather, you are in love with the soul, the essence of the person inhabiting that body. Then doesn't it stand to reason that one can simply fall in love with another's soul, and perhaps that soul can just happen to inhabit a body that is of the same sex?
Don't get me wrong......I love Monica's body (oh, do I!), but if she were to suddenly grow a male appendage tomorrow, I wouldn't love her any less............it is SHE whom I love. It is the person, the soul, whom I adore with all my being.....whom I know that God created as a perfect companion for me.
Another thing about homosexuality being a sin.......what about those poor souls who are born into the body of a hermaphodite? Yes, it happens. Persons born with both male and female parts. According to many fundamentalist Christians, are they simply to be abstinant, without experiencing the pleasure of physical love for their entire lives? Would God abhor those people having intimate physical relations with ANYONE? Because sex with any other person would technically constitute homosexuality. Unless of course, their parents chose a gender for them as infants and they had surgery. Then, could anyone blame them if their desires went the other way? Not the way the parents might have hoped when they picked a gender in this poor person's infancy? Stupid!
Well, I've got plenty more to say on this issue......I could go round and round on it. I have always been pro-gay marriage, even as right wing as I am. I simply never thought I would be defending this stance because it affects me in such a personal way.......I am gay, as of right now--how in the hell did that happen???? No mind, how, I thank God everyday for putting her in my life, as hard as it has been.........and He and I talk quite often.............He loves me and I know that I am no abomination.
No comments:
Post a Comment